Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Market your music, with little or no money? Its possible!





Locally Famous (Widely Unknown)
Market With No Money! ~ Yes, it is possible!
My name is Scott Wilcox. I am a singer/songwriter from Wisconsin that just happens to have many other talents in marketing and advertising. This first blog is just an opportunity to introduce myself and tell you my goals for this blog.
I have been writing music since the age of 12. As far back as I can remember, when anyone asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I gave them the same answer: A Rock Star! Usually it was followed by the famous "Rock Star" hand sign. My mother says that I'd been making up songs since the age of three, words music everything; I just had no way of writing it down (Give me a break, I was three). I played drums by the age of seven and by 12, I had written down my first song and learned to play piano by ear. As you read my blogs you'll notice that my gift is in music and marketing and not punctuation, so I'm apologizing ahead of time.
I spent the past 30 years going to college, working in two careers (marketing and education), before turning 43 and realizing my dream of being a rock star was slowly fading away. I am now 44, have three beautiful children and I'm not ashamed to say it, overweight. Not your typical "Rock Star". But as I've matured, so has my music and my writing style. My music is Americana and blues with a strong sense of passionate storytelling. But I am not here to talk about my music, I am here to talk about my success in music even though I am a 44 year old, overweight father of three living in a small town in Wisconsin.
In the past year and a half I have experienced success in music that I had never dreamed possible, and the best part is, I'm only just getting started! Let me start from the beginning...
I used to be a special education teacher at a small school in Southwestern Wisconsin. I loved teaching kids with disabilities because I loved to see "potential" blossom. It’s sad to say that many of these kids are written off before they are even given a chance to shine. But that's not how I roll! I was a passionate teacher and I encouraged my students to question authority, even me! I challenged them to demand an education and not expect it to come to them. I expected them to work hard and reap the rewards. Needless to say, this kind of passion was admired by some and hated by others. Change, especially in small town Wisconsin, is often a bitter pill. 
Towards the end of my 5th year in teaching I gave a discussion about the word “hypocrite” and what it meant.  The glazed over eyes of my students told me they were not listening but I finished my explanation and moved onto a more exciting topic. Later that day a student came to me (who was labeled with a behavioral disability) and said something I have never forgotten.  He said, “Mr. Wilcox, I think you’re the greatest teacher in this school, but I think you’re a hypocrite.”  I chuckled out of surprise and said, “What? Why am I a hypocrite?” The student explained, “Well, for the past five years you tell us everyday that we all have gifts and that we were meant to use them. You say that we are supposed to follow our dreams and never lose sight of our goal.” I said, “Okay…” He continued, “And here you are, with all this amazing musical talent, 150 songs and an amazing voice, but all you do is talk about the things you would like to do. All you do is stay here and teach us! Isn’t that the definition of a hypocrite?”  With all my years of schooling, the student had become the teacher.  I answered, “Yep.”

I suppose I could have said, “I’m giving you the tools to follow your dreams”, but that would still mean I was a hypocrite. So I talked it over with the students and did not renew my contract at the end of the year.  I got a part time job and began to make CD’s, three of them in a year to be exact. In the past year, I have produced three CD’s designed them myself, had them duplicated and sold them on my own with the help of all the tools I will be sharing with you in future blogs.  I appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Lifeclass Show as a guest. I won the Bob Dylan Songwriting Competition. I have qualified for the Big Top Chautauqua Songwriting Competition in august.  I have appeared on TV Radio and Newspaper hundreds of times. By no means am I a rock star, but I have learned many marketing strategies that not only work; they are free.  And all you have to do is read my blog.  
I can help you: 
·         Learn ways to create an effective website.
·         Find free or low cost resources to help you market your music.
·         Get more hits on your website.
·         Use your Facebook and other social media tools to market yourself.
·         Create free email newsletters to fans.
·         Write press releases that get media attention.
·         Find low cost ways to record demos
·         Find low cost ways to record and master your projects
·         Realize your dream! 
By no means am I the answer to all your marketing prayers.  Marketing takes time and patience. I can show you how to take that passion for your music ask questions and challenge industry norms. I’ll show you how to take control of your image and find direction. I will expect you work hard, set goals for yourself and take time to reap the rewards. Heck, In no time, you too, might be Locally Famous!

                 






      

No comments:

Post a Comment